The European Students’ Union is looking for a creative and dynamic team player to fill the position of Communications Manager (CM) at its headquarters in Brussels, Belgium.
About the European Students’ Union (ESU)
ESU is the umbrella organisation of 44 national unions of students from 37 countries, and through these members represent over 11 million students. The aim of ESU is to represent and promote the educational, social, economic and cultural interests of students at a European level towards all relevant bodies and in particular the European Union, Bologna Follow-Up Group, Council of Europe and UNESCO.
ESU actively promotes students’ rights and equal opportunities for all individuals in higher education. More information is available on esu-online.org.
Responsibilities and areas of work
Managing and facilitating external and internal communication, namely by:
- Getting the ESU messages across to the European political institutions and media as well as to national governments and relevant non-governmental organisations.
- Writing articles and compiling information for ESU’s web site and external newsletter
- Promoting ESU events, projects, publications, campaigns and statements to other stakeholders and wider public
- Liaising with relevant media and related institutions
- Moderating internal and external email lists and intranet as well as ESU post correspondence
- Screening external queries and requests
- Co-operating with other ESU staff or elected representatives on ESU events’ organising
Upgrading and updating ESU’s institutional image, namely by:
- Regularly updating ESU’s web site
- Working with a professional IT company to develop the ESU web site
- Developing promotional materials and lead the practical/technical work with development of ESU publications
Further developing the administration of the organisation, namely by:
- Cooperating with other ESU elected and secretariat members on ESU promotional and fundraising activities
- Developing the administration and backoffice/intranet of the organization
- Finding new ways to facilitate better internal and external communications
- Sharing daily secretariat tasks with other secretariat members
- A degree or comparable experience within the areas Public Relations, ICT, journalism, communication and/or marketing.
- Knowledge and/or experience on promotional activities`
- A very good command of the English language (spoken and written). Additional knowledge of one or more European languages is highly desirable, particularly French or Dutch.
- Very good computer skills and web literacy.
The following knowledge and/or skills will be taken as advantage:
- Knowledge of the European institutions and other target audiences related to higher education
- Layouting and design skills.
- Any working experience with non-profit student/youth organisations, preferably student unions,
Profile of the candidate
A team player that is able to work within a multicultural environment. Must be flexible and able to stick to tight deadlines. Can expect occasional travel to attend the major events of the organisation.
Terms of contract
- The position is advertised for a 37.5 hours per week agreement.
- Undetermined contract with a six months trial period.
- 20 days of paid holidays based in Brussels
- candidates must have a working permit for the European Union (if applicable)
- candidates should be available to start working 1st of December 2010.
For more details of the terms of contract, including salary conditions, please contact the ESU Chairperson at [email protected] or +32 473 669 892.
How to apply
Please send a CV, a motivation letter and, if available, any letters of recommendation and/or work portfolio by e-mail to [email protected] by 24:00 November 6th , 2010.
It is expected that the motivation letter would clarify why you are applying for the job, what kind of special skills and benefits you would bring to the organisation and how your past experiences and/or education would support your work as CM.
Shortlisted candidates will be interviewed by phone in the second week of November. Also at this stage candidates may be asked to perform small assignments to test their abilities and knowledge.
If necessary, final applicants might be invited to attend an interview in Brussels in the third week of November. ESU will reimburse any travel costs for attending such an interview.
Published October 19, 2010