ESU is looking for a team player to fill the position of the Head of Secretariat at its headquarters in Brussels, Belgium. The Head of Secretariat will be responsible for maintaining financial matters, accounting and administration in order to meet internal and legal requirements.
The responsibilities will include management of the ESU Secretariat, in Brussels in close cooperation with the Executive Committee which is the political and strategic body of the organisation elected by the National Student Unions: member organisations of ESU. The Head of Secretariat is expected to respect the political guidance of the Executive Committee, and will work under the guidance of the Presidency members. The Head of Secretariat is also expected to monitor the work of Secretariat, and ensure that duties and responsibilities are being fulfilled.
● Supervising and coordinating the work of the Secretariat;
● Be responsible for the daily functioning of the office of the European Students’ Union
together with the Presidency and under the guidance of the Executive Committee;
● Overseeing projects, project applications and project planning and implementation
in particular national funding and operating funding;
● Managing office finances and ensure timely and accurate finances
● Financial management, monitoring and reporting with the Presidency
● Supporting the accountant with bookkeeping and financial reporting;
● Developing sound office procedures and practices together with the other ESU
officers and systems for measuring them;
● Office management including relations with Belgian Administration, accounting and
financial planning, monitoring and reporting;
● Maintaining employee records, preparing and submitting payroll information to the
social secretariat and ensuring accurate payment of benefits and allowances in
accordance with national legislation;
● Coordinating financial relations with member organisations;
● Ensuring compliance with legal and regulatory requirements, including rental
agreements, insurance contracts, tax declaration and submissions to the national
bank, external audit etc;
● Coordinate HR procedures, requirements and needs
● Managing relations with bank;
● Coordinate the EU Operating grant and the CoE Structural Grant with possibility to
manage other projects,
● Other related tasks.
● 2 to 4 years work experiences with similar organisations
● A degree or comparable experience in a related field of management and social
● Good knowledge of financial management and reporting
● Good knowledge of human resources management and payroll
● Knowledge of project management (e.g. Erasmus+, Council of Europe and other
● Knowledge of belgian work law and other related legal regulations
● Proficient in English (the working language of ESU) and the ability to work in French
or Dutch (contact with Belgian public administration and other external
● Excellent ICT skills (Word, Excel, Google applications).
● Excellent organisational and communication skills
● Ability to prioritise, respect deadlines and work with others in a multicultural
● Willing to travel occasionally and required attendance for 2 statutory meetings a
year in locations in Europe
● Knowledge of the European institutions and other target audiences related to higher
● Experience of working in/or with civil society, membership-based organisations and
general non-profit sector (volunteering included).
● Open term full-time contract;
● Based in Brussels; occasional travel
● Gross salary between 2500 and 2850, depending on experience
● Health insurance covered for Hospitalia+
● Transport covered according to joint committee rules
● Food vouchers offered
Ideal starting date: in August 2018, available earlier if possible
For more details of the terms of contract, please contact the current ESU Presidency at
● Please send a CV, a motivation letter and, if available, any letters of recommendation, references and/or work portfolio by e-mail to email@example.com in English by 23:59 CET on Sunday 5th of August 2018
● The application code to use for the email subject is: ESU_Head of Secretariat – Application. Only candidates using the correct email subject will be considered.
It is expected that the motivation letter would clarify why you are applying for the job, what kind of special skills and benefits you would bring to the organisation and how your past experiences and/or education would support your work. Received applications will be evaluated against a predefined scorecard. Shortlisted candidates will be interviewed by Skype and/or in person in the next two weeks following the deadline. If necessary, final
applicants will be invited to attend a face-to-face interview in Brussels.